A local solicitor turned ‘Dragon’ recently, to help teach students from Windsor Boys School the harsh realities of running their own businesses.
Andrew Hayward, head of the corporate and commercial department at local Slough solicitors Owen White, joined together with other local businesses to support the work of the year 10 students, led by head careers and teacher of business, Jo Lane.
Like Dragon’s Den, the students had to come up with ideas to make money, with the ‘Dragons’ investing in their ideas. The business propositions had to include goods that could be sold to the public in the market in Windsor town centre. Each Dragon was asked to put in £150 and had to choose nine business ideas from a selection of 12 pitches. The successful pitches eventually put their goods on sale in Windsor market in mid-December.
Products sold included homemade tree decorations, cupcakes, ‘Jars of Joy’ and home-made Christmas cards. Two pupils chose to run a ‘food donation’ stall for the Slough Trussell Trust Food Bank, which raised £185 for the local charity plus a sizeable donation of food.
Owen White ‘Dragon’ Andrew Hayward said of the entire program,
‘I was really impressed, not only with some of the ideas the boys put forward but also the detailed consideration they had given to manufacture, finances and marketing. In many cases they had produced detailed business plans, including not only projections of revenue and profit but also accounting for production and promotional costs. In some teams, they had divided responsibilities in a very business-like way, with separate individuals having overall responsibility for production, finance and marketing. Many of the proposals centred around Christmas confectionary, which gave us some very satisfactory tasting opportunities!”
Organiser Jo Lane said
‘I think the Dragons were very impressed with our boys who are looking forward to meeting with them again in the New Year to present their profit and loss accounts. Luckily they all made a profit, some as much as £200 which we were really pleased about.’
ENDS DECEMBER 2017
About Andrew Hayward
- Andrew is a director in the Corporate and Commercial department, dealing with transactional work including company and business sales, corporate restructuring and business start-ups, joint ventures and shareholders agreements.
- He advises clients on a variety of commercial agreements, including distribution and agency agreements, contracts for the sale and supply of goods and services, intellectual property exploitation and protection and outsourcing arrangements.
- Andrew also works closely with Jane Masih and Russell Ford in our Franchise Team, drafting franchise and related agreements and advising both franchisors and franchisees.
- He also advises on employment matters, drafting employment contracts and policies and advising clients on their operation in practice..
About Owen White:
- Owen White Solicitors was formed as a partnership in 1988 and was incorporated in 2013.
- Owen White Solicitors is affiliated member of the British Franchise Association
- Owen White Solicitors can provide advice on:
- Franchise Disputes
- Company and commercial
- Disputes and litigation
- Commercial property
- Residential Development
- Social Housing
- Contact details:
- Owen White Solicitors Senate House 62 – 70 Bath Road Slough Berkshire SL1 3SR
- Tel: +44 1753 876800 Email: email@example.com Website: www.owenwhite.com