We have been dealing with a large number of property joint ventures recently. Such joint ventures typically involve two organisations forming a new company or limited liability partnership (“LLP”).
The new entity will buy and develop land, often using funding provided by the joint venture partners.
The joint venture entity will appoint a contractor to construct and sell the development. This work is often contracted to one of the joint venture partners, where such partner is a developer in its own right.
Such joint ventures have a number of advantages. They allow the parties to share the risk and reward. They also allow parties to bring together skills and assets. For example, one party may have land and/or money but limited development expertise, whereas the other may have less available money but more development expertise. A joint venture will bring the parties together and allow them both to benefit.
Limited Company or Limited Liability Partnership?
The parties will need to decide on the legal form of the joint venture entity. The new joint venture entity will usually either be a limited company or an LLP.
The type of vehicle to be used will depend on a number of factors, many of them tax-related.
The important thing to bear in mind is that it is often difficult to change from a limited company to an LLP (or vice versa) once the joint venture has been set up. This can often involve complicated legal documentation and detailed tax and accountancy advice.
Professional Legal Advice
The parties should take advice at an early stage to try and ensure that they use the right type of joint venture body; this can save significant time and trouble later.
This will not always prevent the parties from needing to make a change. We have recently been dealing with some joint ventures where a change was required as a result of a change of circumstances (or a change in the identity of one of the joint venture parties). This change could not have been avoided. However, we have also dealt with some circumstances where changes were required due to the parties not having taken appropriate advice at an early stage.
For more information please contact Phil Lawrence or Andrew Hayward.
ENDS NOVEMBER 2018
About the Authors:
- Phil leads the Property Team. He specialises in residential development. He has over 25 years’ experience of the industry and is well known and well respected.
- Phil acts for house builders, providers of affordable housing and other developers. His client list includes national house builders such as Barratt, McCarthy & Stone and Bovis, regional house builders such as London Square Developments and Inland Homes, registered providers of affordable housing and niche developers.
- Phil’s work includes large, complex, urban regeneration schemes, site acquisitions, section 106 agreements and joint ventures.
- Contact Phil: Phil.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrew is a director in the Corporate and Commercial department, dealing with transactional work including company and business sales, corporate restructuring and business start-ups, joint ventures and shareholders agreements.
- Andrew advises clients on a variety of commercial agreements, including distribution and agency agreements, contracts for the sale and supply of goods and services, intellectual property exploitation and protection and outsourcing arrangements.
- Andrew also works closely with Jane Masih and Russell Ford in our Franchise Team, drafting franchise and related agreements and advising both franchisors and franchisees.
- Andrew also advises on employment matters, drafting employment contracts and policies and advising clients on their operation in practice.
- Contact Andrews: mailto:Andrew.email@example.com
About Owen White:
- Owen White Solicitors was formed as a partnership in 1988 and was incorporated in 2013.
- Owen White Solicitors can provide advice on:
- Residential Development
- Commercial property
- Company and commercial
- Disputes and litigation
- Franchise Disputes
- Social Housing
- Contact details:
- Owen White Solicitors Senate House 62 – 70 Bath Road Slough Berkshire SL1 3SR
- Tel: +44 1753 876800 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.owenwhite.com