Once a trade mark is registered, the owner has the exclusive right to use the mark in the UK. This allows an owner to stop others from using their mark or a confusingly similar mark in relation to the goods and services that their mark was registered for.
Alicia is a Senior Solicitor in the Dispute Resolution department and joined Owen White in September 2014.
Alicia works on a broad range of matters including franchising and commercial contract disputes for franchisors and franchisees, as well as owner managed businesses and individuals. Her work involves litigation, alternative dispute resolution and general advisory work.
Alicia has a wide range of experience in commercial disputes involving breach of contract, misrepresentation, enforcement of restrictive covenants and franchise agreements.
Alicia has significant experience on advising clients on brand protection, intellectual property and data protection matters.
Alicia has experience of preparation and filing of trade mark applications in addition to enforcement of IP rights including trade mark opposition and invalidity actions at the Trade Mark Registry. Her work also involves assisting clients with passing off, copyright and domain name disputes.
Alicia has also advised clients on social media removals and takedowns, the right to be forgotten and search engine removals.
Recent Client Work
- Acting for a franchisee in proceedings issued in the High Court for fraudulent misrepresentation of financial projections in the franchisor’s prospectus.
- Acting for a franchisor in urgent interim injunctive proceedings following breach of post-termination obligations.
- Acting for a franchisor of a UK domiciliary care provider defending interim injunction proceedings and a claim for breach of contract and contract terminations.
- A & Others –v- Major High Street retailer  High Court trial in a fraudulent misrepresentation claim. Settled confidentially after a 10-day trial.
- Acting for a franchisor in claims by franchisees involving post-termination obligations and buy-back clauses contained within their franchise agreements.
- Acting for an estate agent brand in insolvency proceedings involving setting aside of statutory demands.
- Successfully defending opposition and invalidity proceedings brought against a UK fast food restaurant chain.
- Drafting trade mark applications and advising on their intellectual property portfolio for a well-known care brand.
- Sharn Panesar Ltd and another v Pistachios in the Park Ltd and another  EWHC 194 (QB). Successfully appealed an order made in the County Court following a preliminary issues trial, in which the judge made findings of fact which went beyond the list of preliminary issues.