How much does franchise specialist legal advice cost when buying a franchise?
Jane deals with a wide range of Corporate & Business matters including buying and selling businesses, drafting commercial contracts including distribution and agency and advising shareholders of private companies.
Jane heads the Franchise Team and has in excess of 30 years’ experience of advising franchisors in the development of their franchise networks, including drafting Franchise Agreements and Master Licence Agreements, acting in the sale and purchase of franchise businesses and intellectual property matters.
Jane has served as a non-executive Director of the British Franchise Association (bfa) and the firm has been a member of the bfa since its foundation in 1977. Jane regularly speaks on franchising at seminars and conferences and writes articles on various aspects of franchising.
In 2018, she became managing director of the firm and is also a non-executive director of the Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce Group and Chair of Governors at a local pre-preparatory school.
Recent Client Work
- Acting on the sale of a franchise network for shareholders in an established franchisor company.
- Acting for prospective franchisees acquiring a ‘bundle’ of franchise units from a franchisor and in relation to the grant of regional development agreements.
- Acting on the sale and acquisition of franchise businesses in a wide range of sectors, including: residential lettings, fire and flood restoration and commercial cleaning.
- Drafting franchise agreements for a variety of business systems including domiciliary care, children's sports and entertainment activities, accountancy services, fast food outlets and fitness clubs.
- Developing a successful resales process for franchisors to ensure that as their network matures franchisees are able to buy and sell established franchise businesses, while the franchisor retains appropriate controls.
- Advising master franchisees on the acquisition of master licence rights in the UK.
- Advising a master franchisor on the renewal of master franchise rights in the UK and negotiating renewal terms with licensor.
- Advising shareholders in the sale of a family owned business.